Here’s a step by step guide on how to make your own homemade DIY lipstick with crayons, coconut oil and Sweet Bee Magic!
What you’ll need:
- One whole crayon—preferably Crayola
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil. (You can get coconut oil at the grocery store. It usually comes in a jar or a plastic tub and is solid and opaque white at room temperature.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sweet Bee Magic
- Paper towels.
- A small glass bowl or a jelly jar that has an opening big enough to put your hand into.
- A cutting board covered with a paper towel.
- A butter knife.
- A pot to boil water in.
- A tool for stirring
- A mold of some kind for your lipstick. A small plastic jar with a lid works great.
How to make the lipstick
- Choose a color for your lipstick. The darker and/or more vibrant the crayon color, the better the results.
- Peel the paper label off. It will come off really easily if you run it under warm water for a few seconds first.
- Fill your pot with about four inches of water and turn the heat on high to get the water boiling, then reduce the heat to low to medium.
- Put ½ teaspoon coconut oil and 1/2 Sweet Bee Magic in your glass bowl.
- Make sure your cutting board is completely covered by the paper towel so you don’t get crayon all over the board. Carefully, slowly, cut your crayon into small pieces with your butter knife. (The crayon needs to be in smaller pieces so it melts faster.)
- Put the crayon pieces into your small glass bowl along with the coconut oil and olive/vegetable oil.
- Set your glass jar carefully down over the pot of boiling water.
- Get your mold out and ready—have it nearby.
- Use stirring tool to stir the crayon pieces and oils together, and watch as the crayon chunks get smaller and smaller.
- Keep stirring until the crayon is all melted and smooth.
- Turn off the stove. Then get an oven mitt and carefully pull your glass bowl with the molten crayon mixture off the pot. Grab your mold and carefully, steadily pour the molten crayon into the mold.
- Moving slowly, transfer your mold full of hot wax to the refrigerator, where it’ll need 15–20 minutes to set before you can use it!